Created 25-May-20
9 photos

The cemetery of the Jewish community in Worms that was situated immediately adjacent to the southwest of the city wall and established at the latest in the early 11th century – although plundered and destroyed on many occasions – served continuously until the creation of the new Jewish cemetery in 1911 as a ‘House of Eternity' and a ‘House of Life'. Of the 1,300 gravestones on the original site, around 600 are from the Middle Ages, with the oldest dating from 1058-59. On the adjacent site to the west are 1,200 more gravestones dating from the 18th century to the early 20th century. The systematic surveying and exploration of the site of the cemetery in Worms and its gravestones, which was resumed several years ago, has unearthed some significant new findings, including details about the community's buildings. Indeed, to this day the cemetery in Worms is visited by Jews from all over the world because of the prominent Jews buried there.
2020 1 Worms Heiliger Sand 00142020 1 Worms Heiliger Sand 00242020 1 Worms Heiliger Sand 00332020 1 Worms Heiliger Sand 00432020 1 Worms Heiliger Sand 00542020 1 Worms Heiliger Sand 00632020 1 Worms Heiliger Sand 00732020 1 Worms Heiliger Sand 00832020 1 Worms Heiliger Sand 0093

Categories & Keywords
Category:Travel and Places
Subcategory:Europe
Subcategory Detail:Germany
Keywords:Deutschland, Duitsland, Friedhof Heiliger Sand, Germany, Jewish Cemetery, Rheinland-Pfalz, ShUM sites of Speyer Worms and Mainz, Tentative, Unesco, Worms, begraafplaats, cemetery, jew