From the 14th century, the Namur belfry was located in the tower of the Saint-Pierre-au-Château collegiate church.

When it burnt down in 1745, the belfry was transferred to the Saint-Jacques tower, the largest tower of the third city wall, built in 1388.

By the 16th century, the belfry had already been adjusted to receive the 'cloche-porte' (gate-bell) announcing the opening and closing of the city gates.

At just over 20 metres high, the Saint-Jacques tower is a remarkable testimony to 14th-century military architecture.
The belfry is a UNESCO World Heritage site.
This gallery is empty.

Categories & Keywords
Category:Travel and Places
Subcategory Detail:Belgium
Keywords:Belfort, Belfries, Belfries of Belgium, Belfroit, Belgique, Dinji, Dziedzictwo, Dünya, Humanidad, MAAILMANPERINTÖ, Mirası, Mondial, Mondiale, Mundial, Pasaules, Pasaulio, Patrimoine, Patrimonio, Patrimonio, Património, Toren, Unesco, Welterbe, Werelderfgoed, Wirt, afbeelding, belgie, belgium, de, foto, foto's, jpg, la, mantojuma, namen, namur, paveldo, photo, photos, picture, pictures, tower, världsarv, Światowe