Created 16-Sep-13
4 photos

Three Crosses (Lithuanian: Trys kryžiai) is a monument in Vilnius, Lithuania, designed by Polish–Lithuanian architect and sculptor Antoni Wiwulski in 1916. It was torn down in 1950 by order of the Soviet Union authorities. A new monument designed by Henrikas Šilgalis was erected in its place in 1989.

It was constructed in Kalnai Park on the Hill of Three Crosses (alternatively, the Bleak HillLithuanian: Plikasis kalnas) in 1916, in the place where the three wooden crosses used to stand at least since 1636. The wooden crosses collapsed in 1869 and tsarist authorities did not allow for them to be rebuilt. The new monument by Antoni Wiwulski was covertly erected in 1916. It was blown up under the order of the Soviet Government on 30 May 1950. Eventually the crosses were restored and consecrated on 14 June 1989.The Three Crosses are constructed of concrete, painted in white. The rebuilt crosses now are 1.8 metres (5 ft 11 in) higher than those of 1916. The fractured remains of original crosses are on display on an elevation several meters below. A spectacular panorama of the Vilnius Old Town can be observed from top of the hill.
Three Crosses, Vilnius, LithuaniaThree Crosses, Vilnius, LithuaniaThree Crosses, Vilnius, LithuaniaThree Crosses, Vilnius, Lithuania

Categories & Keywords
Category:Travel and Places
Subcategory:Europe
Subcategory Detail:Lithuania
Keywords:Dünya Mirası, Litauwen, Lithuania, MAAILMANPERINTÖ, Pasaules mantojuma, Pasaulio paveldo, Patrimoine Mondial, Patrimonio Mondiale, Patrimonio de la Humanidad, Património Mundial, Plikasis, Trys kryžiai, Unesco, Vilniaus, Vilnius, Vilnius Historic Centre, Welterbe, Werelderfgoed, Wirt Dinji, afbeelding, driekruizenheuvel, foto, foto's, jpg, kalnas, photo, photos, picture, pictures, three crosses, världsarv, Światowe Dziedzictwo