The history of the church of Saint - Pierre de La Sauve-Majeure is intimately linked to that of the Benedictine abbey founded by Saint -Gérard . The church dedicated to St. Peter, gothic style of thirteenth and fourteenth century is less known than the abbey.

It is built in the middle of a raised cemetery, bounded by three gothic crosses the sixteenth century. The church and cemetery are the symbolic triangle of the Holy Trinity. The parish church of the village of La Sauve , clearly visible from the west portal of the abbey stands the eastern wall of his head like a decorated façade facing the village and monastery.

La Sauve-Majeure located on one of the roads to Saint Jacques de Compostela , crossing the Entre -deux-Mers , was a gathering point . Many pilgrims were blessed, before leaving to Galicia and the Holy Land.

The church has kept its functions after the revolution. It has undergone several transformations in the thirteenth , sixteenth and seventeenth centuries .

It is classified as an historic monument by order of August 5, 1920. In 1998, she was listed as a World Heritage under the road to St Jacques de Compostela.
La Sauve, Eglise Saint-PierreLa Sauve, Eglise Saint-PierreLa Sauve, Eglise Saint-PierreLa Sauve, Eglise Saint-PierreLa Sauve, Eglise Saint-PierreLa Sauve, Eglise Saint-PierreLa Sauve, Eglise Saint-PierreLa Sauve, Eglise Saint-PierreLa Sauve, Eglise Saint-PierreLa Sauve, Eglise Saint-PierreLa Sauve, Eglise Saint-Pierre

Categories & Keywords
Category:Travel and Places
Subcategory:Europe
Subcategory Detail:France
Keywords:Eglise Saint Pierre, France, Frankreich, Frankrijk, Gironde, La Sauve, Routes of Santiago de Compostela in France, Santiago, Santiago de Compostela, Way of St James, pelgrim, pelgrimage, peregrino, pilger, via Turonensis