is a Roman Catholic church
in the city of Périgueux, France. A cathedral since 1669, it is dedicated to Saint Front (French: Cathédrale Saint-Front de Périgueux
). The cathedral's predecessor, still in operation as a church, is dedicated to Saint Stephen (French: Cathédrale Saint-Étienne-de-la-Cité de Périgueux
A church was first built on the site in the 4th and 5th centuries.
In 976 the Bishop Frotaire had the Abbey of Saint-Front constructed on the site of the church. The abbey was consecrated in 1047. Its vaulted choir housed the tomb of Saint Front, which was sculpted in 1077 by Guimaunond, a monk of the abbey of Chaise-Dieu. This tomb was decorated with numerous precious stones and sculptures, notably an angel with a halo made of pieces of glass and is now kept in the Périgord Museum.
The cathedral owes its name to Saint Front, the first bishop of Périgueux. The cathedral, in either building, was and is the seat of the Bishop of Périgueux and Sarlat, as the diocese has been known since 1854.
Saint-Front Cathedral before the restoration by Paul Abadie.
The buildings are located in the centre of Périgueux and Saint Front Cathedral has been classed as a French Historical Monument, (Monument historique), since 1840. The Saint Front Cathedral was rebuilt by architect Paul Abadie from 1852 to 1895. Only the bell tower and the crypts, both from the 12th century, were left from the previous structures.
The cathedral is part of the World Heritage Sites of the Routes of Santiago de Compostela in France since 1998.