Villa Savoye is a modernist villa in Poissy, on the outskirts of Paris, France. It was designed by Swiss architects Le Corbusier and his cousin, Pierre Jeanneret, and built between 1928 and 1931 using reinforced concrete.
A manifesto of Le Corbusier's "five points" of new architecture, the villa is representative of the bases of modern architecture, and is one of the most easily recognizable and renowned examples of the International style.
The house was originally built as a country retreat on behest of the Savoye family. After being purchased by the neighbouring school it passed on to be property of the French state in 1958, and after surviving several plans of demolition, it was designated as an official French historical monument in 1965 (a rare occurrence, as Le Corbusier was still living at the time). It was thoroughly renovated from 1985 to 1997, and under the care of the Centre des monuments nationaux, the refurbished house is now open to visitors year-round.
In July 2016, the house and several other works by Le Corbusier were inscribed as UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
Category:Travel and Places
Keywords:Architecture, Charles-Édouard Jeanneret, Corbusier, Le Corbusier, The Architectural Work of Le Corbusier, an Outstanding Contribution to the Modern Movement, World Heritage, modernism, urban planning