The Dessau-Wörlitz Garden Realm, also known as the English Grounds of Wörlitz, is one of the first and largest English parks in Germany and continental Europe. It was created in the late 18th century under the regency of Duke Leopold III of Anhalt-Dessau (1740-1817), returning from a Grand Tour to Italy, the Netherlands, England, France and Switzerland he had undertaken together with his friend architect Friedrich Wilhelm von Erdmannsdorff. Both strongly influenced by the ideals of The Enlightenment, they aimed to overcome the formal garden concept of the Baroque era in favour of a naturalistic landscape as they had seen at StourheadGardens and Ermenonville. Today the cultural landscape of Dessau-Wörlitz encompasses an area of 142 km2 (55 sq mi) within the Middle Elbe Biosphere Reserve in the German state of Saxony-Anhalt.

Further structures of the Garden Realm include Luisium Castle, located in the Waldersee district of Dessau, was a gift from Duke Leopold III to his wife Louise. It was built from 1774 in a plain Neoclassical style as a country home according to plans by Erdmannsdorff with adjacent gardens, pastures and a stud farm. Leopold died at the castle on August 9, 1817 from the consequences of a riding accident.
Garden Kingdom of Dessau Wörlitz, LuisiumGarden Kingdom of Dessau Wörlitz, LuisiumGarden Kingdom of Dessau Wörlitz, LuisiumGarden Kingdom of Dessau Wörlitz, Luisium

Categories & Keywords
Category:Travel and Places
Subcategory:Europe
Subcategory Detail:Germany
Keywords:Allemagne, Dessau, Dessau Worlitz, Deutschland, Duitsland, Garden kingdom of Dessau Wörlitz, Germany, Luisium, Patrimonio de la Humanidad, Welterbe, Werelderfgoed, World Heritage