Galleries 5
Collections 0
Groups 0
The colonial town of Cienfuegos was founded in 1819 in the Spanish territory but was initially settled by immigrants of French origin. It became a trading place for sugar cane, tobacco and coffee. Situated on the Caribbean coast of southern-central Cuba at the heart of the country’s sugar cane, mango, tobacco and coffee production area, the town first developed in the neoclassical style. It later became more eclectic but retained a harmonious overall townscape. Among buildings of particular interest are the Government Palace (City Hall), San Lorenzo School, the Bishopric, the Ferrer Palace, the former lyceum, and some residential houses. Cienfuegos is the first, and an outstanding example of an architectural ensemble representing the new ideas of modernity, hygiene and order in urban planning as developed in Latin America from the 19th century.

Palacio de Valle

26 photos
Created 3-Nov-16
Modified 3-Nov-16
Palacio de Valle

Parque Marti

46 photos
Created 3-Nov-16
Modified 3-Nov-16
Parque Marti

Paseo del Prado

19 photos
Created 3-Nov-16
Modified 3-Nov-16
Paseo del Prado

Teatro Tomas Terry

15 photos
Created 3-Nov-16
Modified 3-Nov-16
Teatro Tomas Terry

Town of Cienfuegos

44 photos
Created 2-Nov-16
Modified 2-Nov-16
Town of Cienfuegos