Galleries 2
Collections 0
Groups 0
The Churches of Peace (Polish: Kościoły Pokoju, German: Friedenskirchen) in Jawor (German: Jauer) and Świdnica (German: Schweidnitz) in Silesia were named after the Peace of Westphalia of 1648 which permitted the Lutherans in the Roman Catholic parts of Silesia to build three Evangelical churches from wood, loam and straw outside the city walls, without steeples and church bells. The construction time was limited to one year. Since 2001, the two remaining churches are listed as UNESCO World Heritage Sites.

Jawor

30 photos
Created 23-Oct-13
Modified 23-Oct-13
Jawor

Swidnica

50 photos
Created 22-Oct-13
Modified 22-Oct-13
Swidnica