Created 23-Jun-13
6 photos

The City Hall (Dutch: Stadhuis) of Antwerp, Belgium, stands on the western side of Antwerp's Grote Markt (Great Market Square). Erected between 1561 and 1565 to the design of Cornelis Floris de Vriendt and several other architects and artists, this Renaissancebuilding incorporates both Flemish and Italian influences.The low arcaded ground story is of rusticated stone, and at one time housed little shops. Above are two stories with Doric and Ioniccolumns separating large mullioned windows, and a fourth story forming an open gallery.The richly ornamented center section, which rises above the eaves in diminishing stages, holds female statues representing Justice,Prudence, and the Virgin Mary, and bears the coats of arms of the Duchy of Brabant, the Spanish Habsburgs, and the Margraviate of Antwerp.
Antwerp, Antwerpen, City Hall, BelfryAntwerp, Antwerpen, City Hall, BelfryAntwerp, Antwerpen, City Hall, BelfryAntwerp, Antwerpen, City Hall, BelfryAntwerp, Antwerpen, City Hall, BelfryAntwerp, Antwerpen, City Hall, Belfry

Categories & Keywords
Category:Travel and Places
Subcategory:Europe
Subcategory Detail:Belgium
Keywords:Antwerp, Antwerpen, Belfries, Belfries of Belgium, Belfries of Belgium and France, Belgique, Belgium, België, Flanders, Flandre, Heritage, Patrimoine Mondial, Patrimonio de la Humanidad, The List, Toren, Unesco, Vlaanderen, Welterbe, Werelderfgoed, World Heritage, city hall, hand werpen, stadhuis, town hall